Our Club History

Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 
image

ROTARY CLUB OF AUBURN

 

History

Rotary International was formed in Chicago, Illinois in 1905 by Paul Harris.  Feeling the need to become better acquainted with persons of other crafts than his own; he invited several to join him at his office for a meeting.  They decided to meet each week at different places of business thereby rotating the meetings.

From this beginning, Club No. 1 of Rotary was born.  The first step toward a national and international organization was taken with the establishment of the number 2 club in San Francisco.  This has continued until today to the point where there are over 34,000 Rotary Clubs, with nearly 1,200,000 Rotarians, in over 200 countries.

The Auburn Rotary Club grew out of a weekly luncheon meeting of members of the Tahoe Club.  With the assistance of the Sacramento Rotary Club, the Auburn Rotary Club was formally chartered on May 20, 1924, as Club No. 1782.  Following were our charter members:

Jerome Barieau

Civil Engineer

Self

Frank Bell

Electric Supp.

Bell Electric

J. E. Bergtholdt

Nurseryman

 

Guy Brundage

Comm. Banking

1stNat’l Bank

Bert Cassidy

Newspaper

Auburn Journal

T. L. Chamberlain

Lawyer

Prewett/Chamberlain

H.S. Clegg

Savings Bank

Placer Co. Bank

H.M. Cooper

Electric Power

P.G. & E.

Mortimer Chester

Minister

St. Lukes’ Church

George Fay, M.D.

Surgeon

Self

Verne Ford

Automobiles

Self

P.B. Goss, Sr.

Secretary

Placer Co. C. of C.

R.B. Howell

Dentist

Self

Kenneth Layton

Gasoline

Union Oil Co.

Wm. Lee

Dry Goods

Wm. G. Lee Co.

Earl Lukens

Hardware

G.E. Lukens& Sons

Carl Mehl

Undertaker

Mehl & Hislop

George Malcom

Groceries

Pay & Tote

P.N. Smith

Boots/Shoes

Birdsall Shoe Co.

Joseph Steiner

Hotel

Hotel Auburn

Walter Reynolds

Life Insurance

New York Life

E. T. Robie

Lumber

Auburn Lumber Co.

Fred Stevens

Drugs

Stevens Drug Co.

James Stewart

Mining Engineer

Self

H. G. Van-Lennep

Auto Repair

Placer Machine/Auto

     

                             

By 1926 the club had grown to 48 members and that number remained fairly constant until after World War II when it slowly grew to its current size of over 100 members.  Auburn sponsored the Grass Valley Club in 1925 and the Gold Country Rotary Club of Auburn in 1984. Auburn joined the Gold Country Club to sponsor the Auburn Daybreak Club in 1995.